Authentication and Customer Service

My guest blogpost for Eduserv has been published: ‘The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: Error messages for blocked users‘. I had been thinking about Customer Service Excellence, how we can help walk-in users and the error messages people encounter when trying to login to electronic resources. Whilst there was no collusion, it is interesting that the previous day another post on the same blog also looked at usability issues: Tom Edmonds on ‘Who’s driving usability in Identity & Access Management?‘.
If these are topics that concern you, you may be interested in the FAM12: Broadening Horizons event being planned for Birmingham 6th November 2012.
Meanwhile another new service being explored requires us to create a secure webpage from which our students can link to an account creation page. I am not convinced that this is an easy option for the supplier, but it is unwieldy for us to set up and yet another username and password hurdle for our users to overcome in their daily struggle to find the resources they need for their studies.

About Philip Adams

Senior Assistant Librarian at De Montfort University. I have recently introduced a Single Sign On service for the library's databases and electronic journals. I am interested in digital preservation and the use of data to measure a library's impact. All comments own.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.